Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Little David

        I often time read my friends' friends' blogs in my downtime (aka when Avery's napping).  While catching up on our good friends blog, The Stephens, I clicked on one of the blogs in Amanda's "friends" column.  I began to read the story of a loving family with twins, one of whom had always required some type of assisted airway device.  As I continued to read, I learned the story of Little David.  His contagious smile and that fact that he received a lot of his care at UNC both attracted me to this blog.  Little David had surgery several weeks ago for the reconstruction of his airway and potential decanulation (this is when you get your trach removed for my non medical readers).  I began praying for David and following his progress via his mother's blog.  Monday I was working our Tarheel 2 aircraft, and we made a trip up to UNC.  On my final trip to UNC that evening, I was able to meet Little David and his strong, sweet and loving mother, Langley.  David was signing helicopter when I asked him if he would like to see our helicopter at UNC.  It was my pleasure to be able to show David Tarheel 2 and give him and his mother a little escape from their hospital room.  I admire Langley, she has a never-ending love for her child and untouchable faith.   Little David is a very sweet boy and seeing his smile as he sat on the seat inside the helicopter brought pure joy to my heart.  I am happy to report that Little David has been discharged from the hospital and is home with his family.  Please join me in praying for the continued good health and development for Little David.  As I told Langley, I can't wait to see a blog post about Little David talking and doing all the things a 2 year old boy does. 
 I told you he is adorable!!!  Little David in Tarheel 2.


This month is also the end of the annual Raleigh Mustaches for Kids.  This is a local charity that Trey has participated in for the past five years.  As much as I am not a fan of his mustache, it is a great cause and 100% of the donations go to the NC Children's Promise, which is the big fundraiser for the NC Children's Hospital.  I am so proud of Trey and all the guys growing.  I am also fortunate to see all the great things that occur with these donations through my job at UNC.  Please take come time to check out the Raleigh Mustache for Kids website,  and I promise your donation is worth every penny and tax deductible!

Here is a picture of some of this years participants with some creative Halloween costumes!

No comments: